Horne Museum takes its name from the
English collector Herbert P. Horne
(1864-1916) who donated his palace
and collections of a lifetime to the
Italian State, together with the palace
where he had collected them. This building
had belonged to the Alberti and later
to the Corsi family who gave it its
present day appearance at the end of
the 15th century, when it was
probably restructured by Simone del Pollaiolo,
known as "Il Cronaca", who
created the elegant external layout and
the internal yet balanced courtyard.
present layout reflects its owner`s
taste (Horne was a man of letters, an
architect and a very valuable critic).
Horne moved to Florence at the end of
the 19th century to study Italian Renaissance.
He took a special interest in art, furniture,
ornamental and useful household objects
belonging in particular to the typical
Florentine home he wished to recreate
for himself. The result is a large and
lavish collection arranged that aims
at preserving the character of a private
home through the furniture pieces and
interesting are the superb domestic
objects that include original cutlery
in silver and ivory, needles, mirror
holders, leather boxes and firedogs.
the collection of paintings is interesting,
since it comprises an impressive group
of 14th century Florentine and Sienese
paintings, in addition to other works
by artists of the 14th and 15th century.
The layout clearly reflects the taste and sensitivity
of the owner who was a great scholar
of Botticelli. The most precious piece
is the painting representing "St.
Stephen" by Giotto.
sculptures include works by Desiderio
da Settignano, Giambologna and the "Angels
in Glory" by
vast majority of furniture pieces contains
fine examples of Italian ceramics ranging
from the 14th to the 17th centuries,
produced in the manufacturies of Orvieto,
Cafaggiolo and Urbino.