The Cenacolo is situated in the former convent of the Sisters of Foligno, transformed into a "Conservatory for poor and honest girls" in 1980 after the transfer of the nuns.
The fresco (4.40 x 8 m) was found in 1845 and initially attributed to Raphael, although today's art critics agree that the work is to be attributed to one of the pupils of Pietro Vannucci known as il Perugino (1445/50-1523), who painted it around 1493-96.
Critics have also suggested that the work replaces a previous fresco of the same subject painted by Neri di Bicci (1419-1491). The fresco can be considered one of the most important examples of the Umbrian culture in Florentine Renaissance. The Relfectory preserves also some frescoes by Bicci di Lorenzo (1429) removed from other parts of the convent.